Tuesday 24 April 2012

Chocquibtown

Ok, So I don't know what has recently drawn me to Colombian artists as of recently (My current obsession is Bomba Esterio), but following DJ Jimmy Valencia's conquest in South America, has introduced me to Afro-Colombian Hip-Hop group, Chocquibtown.

The trio is made up of two male rappers Goyo & Slow and, may I add, one Fierce lead female, Tostaoo, vocalist whom I love. They carry over their African traditional style, which includes folk materials (survived from times of slavery), African Marimba, rumba, Currulao added with a current flare of hip hop. The group uses their musical style to bring out and reveal their culture and heritage.

With this alone, let me just tell you... I AM SOLD!

Would definitely love to see these guys live at a festival. Fingers crossed they will be crossing over to the UK sometime soon.



3 tracks I am currently loving from Chocquibtown :

'Calentura' featuring Tego Caledron.


'Hasta El Techno'.


Oro

3 comments:

Jessi said...

Hello!! The woman is Goyo and the men are slow and tostao...

Ines said...

Hi, thank you for the heads up, I will Correct that. :)

Dj Jimmy Valencia said...

Nice one! You forgot probably their biggest sigle 'Somos Pacifico', a unifying anthem for Afro-Colombians across Colombia...

http://youtu.be/reB4YLs-49U

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Coupons