Saturday 19 May 2012

INTERVIEW: A BOA VIDA MEETS FABRICE WONGA

Congo is known to produce some of the most talented music artist in Africa (just think Fally Ipupa), and now we have our own exported, home-grown talent.
Congo born singer/songwriter Fabrice Wonga is currently making his name known in the UK with his 'Congo Wifey' track.
I was lucky enough to grab Frabrice from his busy scheduled to get to know him a little and talk about his music career.



ABD: So, for those who don't know you, could you please describe your music in 3 words?
FW: First and foremost I would like to thank you for featuring me on your wonderful blog. I would describe my music as being Heartfelt, catchy & fun at times.

ABD: How and when did your passion for singing and song writing start?
FW: My passion really started when i was still in secondary at age 13. I hid it for a bit cause I went to a tough all boys school and singing wasnt really hip. So I really started sharing my songs with friends in college (looking back those songs were terrible) and from summer 2009 I really started seeing it as a carreer not just a hobby.
ABD: Your song 'Congo Wifey' has proven to be quite popular as of lately, and I personally love the way you sing in both English and Lingala. What motivated you to write this song?
FW: Thank you. Congo Wifey is a combination of two previous songs only my inner circle know about. I co-Wrote the song back in 2009 along with my friend and longterm musical partner and producer of Congo Wifey, Zoe Kassanda Ilunga (he’s a boy by the way). The motivation came from past love interests and relationships. The funny thing is that I was single when I wrote that song.

ABD: Who would you say are your musical influences? And who would be you dream collaboration?
FW: I grew up listening to all the Congolese greats: Zaiko, Wenge musica, Papa wemba, along with the likes of Michael Jackson, Boyz II Men, Brain Mcknight & Lokua kanza. My dream collaboration would have to be Brian Mcknight.

ABD: I hear you are also a writer and Poet. What message do you expect your listeners to get from your music and poetry?
FW: Oh wow where did you dig that up lol. Yeah I wrote alot of poetry at some period from 2007-2010, I’ve published afew online so check that out. I expect my listeners to hear things that they can relate to, heartbreaks, falling in love, justice for my motherland Congo and a message of unity.

ABD: If you was not singing, what would you be doing?
FW: Oh wow I would probably be a simple songwriter. I also love acting and I would love to pursue that soon. If that fails Im currently a Computer science student so I would also probably be doing that instead of music.

ABD: What else can we be expecting from you in the future?
FW: I will be performing at THE OFFICIAL CONGO 52ND INDEPENDENCE DANCE & MISS CONGO UK 2012 | Hosted By EDDIE KADI @ CAMDEN CENTRE on the 30th June. I plan to also release a single called ‘Central London’ (London 2012 Olympic Games) along with a music video…I Will finally release ‘Congo Wifey’ with a music video too.
I am also currently writing my debut EP, so stay tuned as I’m going to be busy creating some beautiful music for my fans, old and new, in the next 12 months. So expect me performing at a venue near you.


Now for the quick-fire questions:

ABD: What embarrasing song might I find on your iPod?
Well the embarrassing thing is that I dont have even one Drake or Adele song in there. I like their music but won't listen to it everyday. Oh and ‘Justin Bieber –Boyfriend’ *hidesface*.

ABD: Snap! What is your guilty pleasure?
Supermalt lol

ABD: A Boa Vida! aims to promote new and up coming artists/bands, who would you suggest for us to check out at this current moment?
Mark Asari formally of the group Encore. Extremmly talented Singer/Songerwriter & Producer
Dele – Gifted singer and songwriter
J Stories – Some nice commercial RnB from his latest EP ‘Initiation’ you guys should check it out

ABV: You've been amazing, thank you for sparing A Boa Vida! the time.
FW: Thank you for having me.


Notable links

You can also check out Fabrice Live gigging @ TheComedyPub ~~ bit.ly/I5pFRb
If you love AfroBeats/AfroRnB Check out #Kitoko - Fabrice Wonga - Live @ TheComedyPub ~ bit.ly/I5pG7C
He has also done a little acting ::: CONGO50 MUSICAL EVENT - La retrospective (As Seen on Sky TV)::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PLhYVRDkxo

Contact details
Website: Coming soon
Twitter: @FabriceMusic
For bookings/enquiries: fabricewonga@gmail.com

New music
Soundcloud: Soundcloud.com/fabricewonga


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost Coupons